Wednesday, October 1, 2008

$5 Prom

Well Sam pulled off the ultimate surprise which I am still amazed by!! He had a fake birthday party planned for the weekend of the 13th that he sent an evite and everything for and I assumed was the real date...little did I know he'd been working with many of our friends for MONTHS on the surprise party! The evite for the real party said:
Hi, Laurie is turning 30 on September 19th. Laurie is a smart cookie. Therefore, in order to surprise her with a party, we must be equally shrewd by surprising her early. we must also create a fake party diversion. I am having a party for her on September 5th. This evite is for September 5th. [aside: I told Laurie that I am having a party for her on September 13th. That is a lie, but we must all convince her that the party is September 13th (it's really not, it's on September 5th, which is a surprise). You will also recieve an evite for September 13th. It will look real. It is not, but please respond to it as if it is, and then we will play Laurie like a fiddle.] The party is a $5 prom. Disco ball, bad wooden floors, folding chairs, spiked punch. Just another uncomfortable Friday evening. We are renting out a local temple ballroom for the event. She will never guess it. In order to facilitate your planning, please do not bring presents. Rather, please wear your best thrifty store prom outfit, and bring a zany dress for Laurie to wear. Laurie will be modeling your garments for our enjoyment throughout the evening. We will be judging and awarding gifts based on certain criteria (best lace, creative use of veneer and glue gun, 80's vintage best in show, narrowest girth at ankle length, etc.). The weirder the better, you know Laurie. We hope you can make it. Sam
Since I am behind Bri already beat me to the blog so you can check hers out as well!
THE STALL
Brooke and Jim were meant to be the original diversion in getting us to the party around 8, however little Hudson decided to come a little early! Little did I know when we were taking them dinner that they were really just helping Sam stall for time...but hey we got to see the little one so it was fun!
The proud parents...and little Hudson!
Sam with Hudson(who loves sitting like this) I can't believe I didn't get a pic with the little guy!
THE SURPRISE
everyone waiting behind the curtains
more waiting
my uncle a little bored during the wait!!
I thought we were there for a meeting but the whole place was dark and Sam shoved me into the room...it took a minute to even get it!! You can see how proud Sam is that he pulled it off!!
greeting everyone there, still so surprised!
one HAPPY Sam!!!
THE DRESSES-
instead of gifts people brought dresses for me to change into during the night...there were some real winners!!

DRESS #1 (with slip underneath to make it even bigger!) DRESS #2 (Melissa added some straps for me!)
DRESS #3 (notice the nice addition of the fancy Obama button...thanks Brea!)
DRESS #4 (this actually looks like something I might have picked in 8th grade)
DRESS #5 (notice the slit...ALL the way up!)
DRESS #6 (Sam's additon to the mix...and a very HOT one!)
DRESS #7 (thanks book club gals...I look like the mother of the bride!)DRESS #8 (this one isn't so bad and I do LOVE the red shoes!)
DRESS #9 (the puffy sleeves are AMAZING!)
DRESS #10 (sad that this pic is missing the sleeves which are FULL length but thanks Jen/Kristin for this lovely!)
DRESS #11 (yep the bow in the back made the dress...and I borrowed Dan's glasses for the pic and Caroline's lip gloss for the pic)

THE PARTY!!! The Fudges (who really helped Sam a TON with the party!) Sam welcoming everyoneKristin and Jen Brea...making my favorite Brea face
My brother Scott, sister Lindsey and uncle Jim (making a classic Jim face)
Catherine, Helen, Jenny and Clare Natae (in a GOODWILL dress!! ha!)Melissa (with David's vest)mom and dadJimDanDavid

ScottBri, Christine and meme and Leslie in our matching dresses Christine and BreaChristine lining up the fam
The Fam!! me and Natae (we had to get as many pics of her as possible!)
the punch!one of the many head piecesMegan and meChristine (pretty sure we knew each other when our hair was really worn like this!)Sam and Kristinthe siblings
check out Sam's pocket!! his pants were so tight...and he LOVED them!
I had some filthy feet by the end of the night!Joel, Ben and Sammy uncle Jim and meClare, me and JennyThe Fudge slow dance (Griffin provides his own barrier!) Caroline, me and Leslie (they brought this dress)quite a party hubby!!my crazy book club gals with their guysHelen and JackJenny actually JUST wore her dress in a wedding!!Brian and ChristineThe Russell galsDan and the dudeKate, Brea and Melissa

THE CAKE


AND A FEW MORE OF SAM LOVING HIS OUTFIT!!

THE END

THANKS EVERYONE FOR A GREAT 30TH BIRTHDAY!

No comments: