Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Denver Marathon 2007

To say we had less than ideal conditions would be an understatement. Take a high of 38 degrees, add in non-stop rain and some wind and you have marathon day 2007. Blah! However I would gladly take this weather over what those poor folks in Chicago had to deal with the weekend before! Speaking of Chicago due to the weather there I lucked out and picked up a running partner for this marathon. Ashley, who you'll see in all running shots with me ran the Chicago marathon only to get to mile 20 and be told she had to walk the rest. Since Denver let all Chicago runners in free she decided she wanted to truly finish a race and ran with me...yay!
Here we are around mile 2 and believe it or not we are already down a layer from what we started with...just picture us with ponchos on top of this attire as well.
By mile 4 we were ready to shed another layer and passed off the jackets to our cheering crew.
As you can see it was a rough day for spectators as well (wind, rain, cold) not fun for anyone so we really appreciated all those that came out to cheer us on. Brooke and Brea attempted to stay dry under the umbrella...which worked until each time we came by and Brooke would jump up and down and cheer and knock the water off the umbrella onto Brea!
The LONGEST stretch of the race I thought was way out on 7th and back on the same road!
We ran through City Park, Cheesman Park, and Wash Park during the race.

Yay we made it through the horrible last stretch of rain and wind coming right at us and are ready for some food!

Me and my uncle David who we lost from the start...we're trying to warm up!

My "crazy sweater guy" as those along the course running near me called Sam. He ran next to us each time he saw us yelling and ringing his cowbell. After a while people started to recognize him! It was very funny! He would like me to sign up for my next race soon because he has "all kinds of ideas" for it! I believe he was as sore as I was for the few days following the race...he put in some miles as well.
Dan, Sam, and me after the race...Dan along for marathon #2 to cheer once again!
Mom, me, and Kate...missing dad from the pic, they were all out getting soaked and cheering for us too.
Finally...the war wounds...
It is hard to get a photo to focus on your foot...but I have one MASSIVE blister on my 3rd toe! However after a race in the rain I am surprised I don't have ones that large on every toe.
And again...hard to show but my necklace must have rubbed against my neck the entire race as I have a few spots that were rubbed raw and have now opened and started bleeding as well.
But...with conditions as bad as they were I am so thankful for completing the race and having only two minor "injuries" to show for it. I am still hobbling up and down the stairs, but my legs are finally starting to function normally again.

No comments: