Sunday, July 24, 2011

EPIC relay

Finally one more update...sorry folks it has been a BUSY couple of months, one day I will at least be back in the same month as my blog.  :)
 I ran my first ever relay.  It was from Colorado Springs to Crested Butte and 190 miles for a team of 12
 here is my team of 12: The Bourbon Slushies (named so because the first relay many of these folks did together was the bourbon chase in Kentucky)
 and my van of 6
 the start of the race
 our van, and home for the next 36 hours
 the first hand off from van 1 to van 2
 toughest stretch of the entire race 92 degrees and hilly...
 this could be runner's world magazine cover!
 this crew had the best van, complete with a pool full of water hang out in while they waited for their runners
 my first leg
 oh me, you're taking a picture of me, I am SO surprised
 off into the mountains
 it was nice to have a good part of it on the dirt
 our van, complete with car lashes and flamingo lights
 a little YMCA while we waited for our runners
 our window runners running through the trees
 heading into night 1
 the van at night
 exchange points at night
 after our night stretch involving headlamps and reflective vests we headed to our rest spot...can't really beat this as a place to crash for a few hours!
 here it is at 4 (ish) am when we got in
 and a few hours later when we woke up


 our van ready to roll for day 2 and the final legs of the relay
 completely done with his legs and enjoying his bourbon slushie
 it was again quite a hot day out so we gathered some water from the river to dump on our runners as they came by but it was SO cold we had to try to warm it up a bit in the sun while waiting for our runners
 some great views along the way
MEANWHILE...
my cheering crew was making their way up to Crested Butte as well...with a little detour along the way
and an amazing drive over the pass
 with some great views of our morning rest spot at the res
Cohen had some time to dig in the dirt with his digger
 then I arrived at our next exchange point and was welcomed by my own cheering section
 full of high 5s
some pics before my last leg
 and off for my last 7 miles
I had quite the views along the way 
I had quite the views along the way
and one amazing cheering section and runner support group!
 FINALLY after one HOT stretch I am DONE!
 and can really enjoy the views
 a few MEGA blisters

 the team arrives in Crested Butte

 and we all finish the race together!
The relay was quite an experience and one I would definitely do again...will rope in some friends to one next year!

No comments: